SWAPLA 2019’s conference theme is “Oh, What a Beautiful Morning’: Honoring the Past and Shaping the Future, One Day at a Time!”
Our Board and Conference Committee are already hard at work planning an informative and educational conference that will enhance your prelaw advising knowledge and facilitate valuable professional connections and access to resources. We are looking for proposals from pre-law advisors, admissions representatives, and organizational professionals about the following topics: pre-law programming, legal careers (preparation and employment market information), teaching law to undergraduates, hot topics, and nuts & bolts of pre-law advising.
If you have an idea for a session for the 2019 conference, we want to hear from you. Those submitting proposals are encouraged to consider the conference audience. If you have a topic you would like to see addressed in one of the concurrent sessions, now is the time to let us know.
If you would like to contribute your perspective or area of expertise on workshops or panels that others might be presenting, especially if you already plan on attending, please contact Hong Tran Escobar indicating your area(s) of expertise and noting examples of possible topics to which you could contribute. While there may be more interested presenters/topics than we can accommodate, we will make every effort to include as many of you as possible.
A few things to keep in mind as you develop your proposal:
- We will have our traditional “New Advisor” and “Experienced Advisor” sessions on the morning of April 4, 2019
- These proposals will be considered for sessions occurring during the afternoon on Thursday, April 4, 2019 or on the afternoon of Friday, April 5, 2019
- Our conference sessions are typically 60 minute sessions featuring 1-3 speakers
The proposal must include the following:
- Complete contact information for the primary presenter/panelist (name, email, phone, mailing address)
- Names, titles, and affiliations of all presenters/panelists
- An abstract of no more than 250 words describing the proposed topic and how it relates to the 2019 Conference theme.
- A general outline of the presentation, including all major topics/points to be addressed (high-level overview) – what are three takeaways the attendees will receive from your presentation?
- Technology needs for your presentation
The proposal submission period closes on Friday, January 25, 2019; incomplete proposals will not be reviewed. Please email your proposal to Hong Tran Escobar and the SWAPLA Conference Programming Committee will review all complete proposals.
Notifications of accepted and declined proposals will be sent to the email address indicated on the proposal no later than February 8, 2019.