Are you interested in the professional development and would like to attend an APLA conference near you? You’re in luck! Below are the dates for the 2019 APLA Conferences. More details and updates about pre-law advising issues can be found in the PLANC Points Newsletter.
The 2020 PLANC Conference is just 18 months away and will be in New Orleans from June 8-11, 2020. The PLANC Conference is a big undertaking that will require the assistance from volunteers to ensure all aspects of the conference are overseen and run efficiently. To assist in this process, we will need your help on various committees to head up major tasks to be completed before and during the conference. There will be an Operations Team and Program Team who will work closely with your Conference Chair and Program Chair throughout the planning process. Please review the PLANC 2020 Conference Committee Descriptions for the various committees and responsibilities.
To volunteer, please fill out the PLANC Conference Committee Volunteer Form by Friday, January 11, 2019.
We hope you will consider volunteering for a committee and thank you for your commitment to furthering professional development in Pre-Law Advising.
SWAPLA 2019’s conference theme is “Oh, What a Beautiful Morning’: Honoring the Past and Shaping the Future, One Day at a Time!”
Our Board and Conference Committee are already hard at work planning an informative and educational conference that will enhance your prelaw advising knowledge and facilitate valuable professional connections and access to resources. We are looking for proposals from pre-law advisors, admissions representatives, and organizational professionals about the following topics: pre-law programming, legal careers (preparation and employment market information), teaching law to undergraduates, hot topics, and nuts & bolts of pre-law advising.
If you have an idea for a session for the 2019 conference, we want to hear from you. Those submitting proposals are encouraged to consider the conference audience. If you have a topic you would like to see addressed in one of the concurrent sessions, now is the time to let us know.
If you would like to contribute your perspective or area of expertise on workshops or panels that others might be presenting, especially if you already plan on attending, please contact Hong Tran Escobar indicating your area(s) of expertise and noting examples of possible topics to which you could contribute. While there may be more interested presenters/topics than we can accommodate, we will make every effort to include as many of you as possible.
A few things to keep in mind as you develop your proposal:
- We will have our traditional “New Advisor” and “Experienced Advisor” sessions on the morning of April 4, 2019
- These proposals will be considered for sessions occurring during the afternoon on Thursday, April 4, 2019 or on the afternoon of Friday, April 5, 2019
- Our conference sessions are typically 60 minute sessions featuring 1-3 speakers
The proposal must include the following:
- Complete contact information for the primary presenter/panelist (name, email, phone, mailing address)
- Names, titles, and affiliations of all presenters/panelists
- An abstract of no more than 250 words describing the proposed topic and how it relates to the 2019 Conference theme.
- A general outline of the presentation, including all major topics/points to be addressed (high-level overview) – what are three takeaways the attendees will receive from your presentation?
- Technology needs for your presentation
The proposal submission period closes on Friday, January 25, 2019; incomplete proposals will not be reviewed. Please email your proposal to Hong Tran Escobar and the SWAPLA Conference Programming Committee will review all complete proposals.
Notifications of accepted and declined proposals will be sent to the email address indicated on the proposal no later than February 8, 2019.
Registration is now open for the 2019 SWAPLA Annual Conference in Oklahoma City, OK being held Apr. 4-6, 2019! This year’s theme is Oh, What a Beautiful Morning’: Honoring the Past and Shaping the Future, One Day at a Time. Be sure to register by February 16 to ensure you get the early conference fee ($125 before Feb. 16, $175 after Feb. 16). Visit SWAPLA’s website to register and stay up-to-date on the most current conference information.
Conference subsidies are available for:
- SWAPLA Members: SWAPLA members who stay in the Conference Hotel (The Colcord) and attend the entire conference, including the SWAPLA Annual Meeting on Saturday, April 6th, will receive a subsidy in the amount of $500.00 at the conclusion of the conference. This subsidy does not apply to HBCU/HACU/TBCU members who are receiving the LSAC subsidy.
- First-Time Conference Attendees: First-time attendees who stay in the Conference Hotel (The Colcord) and attend the entire conference, including the SWAPLA Annual Meeting on Saturday, April 6th, will receive an additional subsidy of $100.00. This subsidy does not apply to HBCU/HACU/TBCU members who are receiving the LSAC subsidy.
- Advisors From HACU/HBCU/TBCU Schools: To obtain LSAC funding you must contact LSAC’s Diversity Initiatives Office prior to registering for the conference to ensure that you qualify for a travel subsidy and to receive the promo/access code for registration. Please wait to receive your promo/access code prior to registering for the conference. You will input this code into the promo code box below to register at the discounted rate. LSAC will confirm your registration with SWAPLA before any travel will be booked on your behalf. For questions, please contact Isabelle Ramos.
Conference and hotel accommodations will be at the Colcord Hotel in downtown Oklahoma City. Use our special link to make your reservation before March 13 to get the reduced conference rate of $175/night.
We look forward to connecting with you in Oklahoma City!
We are looking for volunteers to provide Pre-Law advice to students attending the LSAC Forum in Houston on November 6, 2018. SWAPLA will cover expenses, including mileage, up to $250, to SWAPLA members from schools that do not already qualify for the LSAC subsidy.
What is required?
- Bring a minimum of three students to the Forum.
- Volunteer for at least two hours at the Pre-Law advising table.
- Submit your receipts for expenses up to $250.
If you are interested in taking advantage of this opportunity, please register at the link above and visit the Subsidies Webpage for the subsidies paperwork. Please direct any questions to Barbara Kirby at firstname.lastname@example.org
SWAPLA’s annual general meeting will be held on Saturday, November 10, 2018 from 9:00 – 11:00 am in the Sam Houston Room at the JW Marriott Houston, 5150 Westheimer, Houston, TX 77056.
The meeting is immediately prior to the LSAC Houston Forum and attendees are encouraged to volunteer to provide pre-law advice to forum attendees after the meeting. Subsidies are available to those who qualify.
Please register by Sept. 7, 2018 to help our site supervisors plan ahead to ensure successful Law Fairs. SWAPLA is unable to process registrations beyond Sept. 7, 2018. Law schools that have registered should have received a confirmation receipt at the time of registration.
When completing your registration form, be sure to select and indicate which Law Fairs you plan to attend. Please do not select more or less schools than you plan to attend.
Please note: For schools interested in adding Texas Tech University, Texas Tech has reached their venue’s maximum capacity and is unable to accept additional law schools for their Fair. All other host schools have a limited number of spots available.
If you are already registered and wish to add more schools: Contact Caravan Coordinator no later than Sept. 7, 2018 to add and pay for the additional school(s).
Registration for the 2018 SWAPLA Caravan is now available on the Caravan Webpage.
Please register early to help our site supervisors plan ahead and to avoid problems with late registration. Please be sure to select the number and which schools you plan to attend and do not select more or less schools that you plan to attend.
Registration deadline is Friday, September 7, 2018.
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2018 Dean Gerald Lee Wilson Award for Excellence in Pre-Law Advising. The Wilson award is granted annually by PLANC to recognize exceptional contributions to the pre-law advising profession and/or services delivered to pre-law students.
The nomination period concludes on Friday, March 30, 2018. For additional information about the award, a list of prior recipients, and the nomination form, go to http://www.planc.org/
Nominations should be emailed to Michelle Payne at email@example.com.
The tentative schedule for the 2018 SWAPLA Caravan is now available and can be found on the Caravan webpage.